High School Computer Science Teacher
Who Are We?
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of five public charter schools serving grades K-12 in Mattapan, Roslindale, and East Boston. At Brooke, we coach and invest in our teachers so that they can help our students achieve at the highest levels and graduate from college. Our students thrive because they are challenged and known.
At Brooke, computer science is a central feature of the curriculum. In grades 1-8, students study coding and robotics for 60 to 90 minutes per week, using a range of introductory languages and platforms, including Code.org, Pencil Code, Scratch, LEGO Mindstorms, and App Inventor. The high school computer science program builds on this foundation, with three years of required computer science for every student, including an AP course.
What is the High School Computer Science Teacher Role?
As a Computer Science teacher at Brooke High School, you set the tone for growth, learning, and teamwork. It’s for our kids; nothing less than the best will do when you’re helping students succeed.
You are the leader of your classroom and build strong relationships with students in order to push them to be their best selves both academically and personally. You crave feedback, think deeply about instruction, and collaborate with colleagues in order to meet the needs of every student. To that end, you will take part in regular data meetings, engage in approximately 20 administrative observations and 15 peer observations per year, and participate in nearly 300 hours of professional development over the course of the school year.
Hours for this role are 7:45 am - 4:00 pm daily. You will teach multiple sections of computer science daily and also serve as an advisor; advisors mentor students, communicate with families, and share information about colleges and character education. You may choose to lead an after-school club or coach a sport for an additional stipend.
Is This You?
- You’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree and have a deep content knowledge of computer science.(it's a major plus if you have experience with FIRST Robotics and/or the use of CNC equipment).
- After at least 2 years as a lead teacher, you know the importance of building a joyful classroom culture where students are held to high behavioral and academic expectations.
- You believe that great teaching is the leading indicator of student success and have an unwavering belief in your students’ capabilities.
- You are professional, warm, and collaborative with students, families, and colleagues.
- You are able to start July 19, 2021.
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world in which we live.