Dean of Students
Who Are We?
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of five public charter schools serving grades K-12 in Mattapan, Roslindale, and East Boston. At Brooke, we coach and invest in our teachers so that they can help our students achieve at the highest levels and graduate from college. Our students thrive because they are challenged and known.
What is the Dean of Students Role?
As the Dean of Students at Brooke Mattapan, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the school’s positive culture of high expectations on a daily basis. You will work closely with other members of the leadership team to build upon this positive culture.
In this role, it is critical that you crave feedback, use data to assess progress toward goals and support teachers, and serve as a point person and resource for teachers and families regarding disciplinary actions and determining how best to support students. You will also model positive interactions with students and provide students in crisis with space and strategies to cope and to improve in-class behaviors.
Hours for this role are 7:00am - 5:00pm, though you will also need to remain available to teachers, students, and families outside of school hours. During school hours, your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, working closely with staff and families to create and implement effective behavior plans for at-risk students, managing breakfast, lunch, arrival, and dismissal with the Director of Operations, and leading detention for 5th-8th grade students (making parent phone calls, scheduling detention, supervising detention) daily from 4:00-5:00 pm, 12:30-1:30 pm on Wednesdays.
Is This You?
- You’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree.
- You are fluent in Spanish or Haitian Creole (preferred).
- After at least 2 years of experience teaching or leading children in a supervisory capacity, you know the importance of building a school culture where students are held to high behavioral and academic expectations.
- You believe that great teaching is the leading indicator of student success and have an unwavering belief in your students’ capabilities.
- You are professional, warm, and collaborative with students, families, and colleagues.
- You are able to start on July 19, 2021.
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.